The Berrys

The Berrys

Thursday, December 4, 2008

So Far . . .

So here is the update so far . . .

Before I begin let me say I do not profess to be a writer despite being an English teacher. I pay no attention to comma splices, run-ons or fragments for that matter. So those of you reading this, and YOU know who YOU are, back off and just read. :)

Two weeks ago I went to the doctor and they found that things were changing in the wrong direction. I was put on bed rest with a doctor's appointment four days later. So I went home preparing to be on moderate bed rest at home. A substitute was found for me and I never got to tell my students good-bye.

Four days later I went back to the doctor and they were so concerned at how things were changing they admitted me to UVA hospital for observation. Talk about freaking out! UVA was the last place I wanted to go but knew I needed to go. The only good news about traveling to UVA was that my favorite doctor was there waiting for me. She has the same story as I do and I needed to talk to someone who had been in my shoes. She was wonderful and gave me a hug as soon as she saw me. After spending three anxiety-filled days at UVA, we found that things had stabilized and I was able to go home for Thanksgiviing. This was a huge blessing as my family was coming from Iowa and I did not want to spend my days with them at the hospital.

Which brings me to today. I have now been on bed rest for the last two and half weeks. I could moan and groan about how horrible it is to know every crack in my celing and all of the places where the painter hit the ceiling instead of the wall, but I won't. I could be at the hospital right now and that is worse. Tomorrow I go to the doctor, again, for an ultra sound and a test called a fetal fibronectin. This amazing test can tell if I might deliver in the next two weeks or not. So far each time we have completed this test, it has come out negative, which is a good thing. Every day counts and even more so every week counts. We are praying for stability and a negative result from this test.

7 comments:

Ian said...

Beyond the cracked ceilings and rough paint job though you must be pretty up to date with Gilmore girls. You could probably start a second blog about them. I feel for Paul, you could probably generate a pretty serious honey-do list for him based on your observations. Let me know if he needs help painting. Hope you have a good day today. :)

Annika said...

Alicia,
You are too funny! Please don't 'correct' my writing skills when you read my posts either :)I am praying for you and will continue to do so.
Annika

MJO said...

Hi Alicia, I guess I can't share my funny work stories on this forum. I will tell you that I am good at cleaning, so if you need someone to get cobwebs from corners, spiders too, I'm your girl.
I'd love to stop by for a visit on one of my runs - just say the word!
Hugs,
MJO

The Kelty's said...

My friend,

I loved being with you yesterday! I pray your day has been peaceful. I am crossing my fingers and praying for your appt. I'll be in tunouch!
Kate

Jon said...

So, I am currently painting my basement (I promised to have it finished by Thanksgiving) and I have "occasionally" touched the ceiling with the roller. I always told myself that nobody would notice because nobody ever looks up at the ceiling. Another theory down the drain! I'm glad you are staring at the ceiling in the comfort of your own home. :)

Dana said...

Hey - thanks for your blog site! What a great way to keep us updated on how the baby and all of you are doing. Please know you are in my prayers as well! It will be neat to see how prayers will be coming from all over the country!

faye slaubaugh said...

wow that was exhausting... still looking for the perfect poster for your ceiling... :) MOM S