The Berrys

The Berrys

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Home


I am happy to be typing this post from home!  The last 48 hours has been a mass of moments that we don’t need to repeat.  It is hard to believe all that has taken place in the last few days.  When we went to my appointment on Monday, we were prepared for the possibility of a trip to UVA, even going as far as packing an overnight bag for the hospital. It wasn’t that Paul and I weren’t hopeful; we were just being realistic.  What we weren’t prepared for the extreme difference they saw from Thursday to Monday.   We weren’t prepared for being rushed to RMH to start a magnesium drip to stop the contractions or the ambulance ride to UVA.  The last time I was admitted to UVA, Paul drove me.  An ambulance solidified the terror of the situation in my mind, and I was frozen from emotion.  How was this happening again?  And why was it happening so quickly.  Gratefully the doctor gave me an anti-nausea medication that put me in a blissful state of sleepiness and I was able to make the ride over to Charlottesville without much awareness.  Upon arriving at UVA, I was immediately welcomed into a room full of care.  There were three nurses in the room and in my semi-conscious state I truly felt a peace.  They were calm, controlled and working as a team.  To Jessica, Liz, Claire, Eboni, and Emily- you completely blessed me with your care.

Once the chaos of  the day came to a close, my body went into a quiet rest.  The doctors literally observed me for 48 hours to find that my body had finally slowed down.  After many conference calls with my doctors here, it was decided that I could come back home and continue the strict bed rest here at home.  Being so successful at home last time helped seal the deal.  I will continue to be closely monitored by my doctors here and if anything changes again we will go back.  For now, I am so very happy to be home, despite the anxiety that comes with being away from constant care; we really do think this is the best. 

You have no idea how touched we are by the many prayers, cards, and words of encouragement you have sent our way.  We truly feel blessed to have such a caring community of friends.  Here is to at least 10 more weeks!      

2 comments:

Bobbie said...

So glad to hear this news! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Alicia, so glad to hear you are back at home. I have just started reading your blog and am praying for you immediately. My Mamie was born at 33 weeks and UVA was full so I spent that ambulance ride going to Roanoke. After 6 weeks of driving to Roanoke and back, Mamie finally came home. We call this three year old the wild child as she is CRAZY:) I will say that the magnesium drip was the most awful thing I have ever encountered. I hope your ecpereince was not as bad as mine! Will continue to check your blog and pray for you.
susan kyger