The Berrys

The Berrys

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New Each Day


Tonight I was watching the movie 50 First Dates (for the umpteenth time by the way). For those of you who haven't seen the movie- the gist is a guy (Adam Sandler- who has a hilarious song called Lunch Lady that Paul likes to sing in a funny voice to me- not sure why a song entitled Lunch Lady inspires him to sing to me) falls in love with a girl (Drew Barrymore- who I think looks like my cousin Sarah) and said girl has amnesia. Each day she wakes up and has to be reminded of how she lost her memory. At the end of the movie there is a short scene where she is introduced to her daughter, again (probably 50th time- hence the movie title), but to her it is like the first time. She is awestruck by the idea that she has a daughter. Imagine how amazing our day to day life would be if we treated each person or day as if seeing them for the first time! Don't get me wrong- there is something comfortable about familiarity and routine- I do not deny this fact. However, there is a renewing thought in the idea of seeing things with fresh eyes and the emotions that follow. Months after Audra was born I would stand over her crib with the same awestruck feeling. It still takes awhile to realize the sweet little voice calling "mamma" is referring to me. I love it. Period. L-O-V-E I-T.

We are enjoying summer here and trying to update this blog more often. Take care to those of you far away! To those of you close- come on over anytime- we are usually outside. I am trying to talk Paul into a pool. Stay tuned!


1 comment:

Nicki said...

Isn't it just awesome to have a child love you so unconditionally? You should definitely do a pool - I put a goldfish pond in a month ago - John Mark dug it for me and I used rubber roofing as the liner - it's 8 by 12 or so and Clint tried to convince me to let him sit/swim in it for a few days before I put plants in it - it made me want to get a big pool! Or you should just drive 17 hours and come swim in the pond!